If you’re involved in the social media management industry, then you’re probably very familiar with the Art of Newsjacking. It’s not a new concept, but it’s definitely a bigger challenge to implement with social media’s impact on real-time reporting, news, and content development.
Newsjacking is the method of injecting your brand marketing into current news as a way to generate attention. It’s a chance to get really creative and look at the news from a different angle. Also, there’s a right way and a wrong way to do it.
- Boost SEO
- Attract new readers
- Be a thought leader in your industry
The Right Way
There was a lot of successful newsjacking during the blackout at February’s big football game. Newsjacking done right is a pleasure to read, something that brings a smile to your face.
The Wrong Way
Be mindful of exploiting an event for marketing gain that might offend your potential customers and create negative publicity.
Social Media Management Newsjacking Best Practices
- Be Sensitive: A school shooting, or a natural disaster, are probably not ideal newsjacking events.
- Keep Current: You’ll need to know what’s timely and relevant in order to newsjack successfully. It helps to set up RSS feeds that include major news outlets and industry publications that will alert you when something newsworthy occurs.
- Operate Quickly: Other brands will also try to newsjack the events, so it helps if you’re among the first responders. You want to get in on the action before interest in the story wanes.
- Don’t force it: Stay within your product branding. Don’t force an unnatural connection. Sometimes this is a challenging judgment call.
- Keep it Positive: Try not to be negative. A positive spin will achieve far more beneficial traction from your potential customer base.
- Don’t Copycat: Make sure you aren’t saying what someone else already has stated. Then you’ll just look foolish.
- Include key phrases: Always keep in mind SEO. Use key phrases when you can.
- Don’t Forget to Share: Once you’re ready, make sure that you share your messages across all your social media management platforms.
Newsjacking clearly can have a hugely positive benefit on social media for companies by making marketing interesting and relevant. Social media statistics show that newsjacking gets attention. Look at how many millions big brands spend on Super Bowl commercials compared to newsjacking. The difference in ROI is astronomical!
Splash Media can help you with full service, turnkey social media management solutions for your online brand strategy. To learn more about us, visit our website. You can also check us out on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.